Criterion #1: Authority
- Is it clear who is sponsoring the creation and maintenance of the page?
- Is there information available describing the purpose of the sponsoring organization?
- Is there a way of verifying the legitimacy of the page's sponsor? For instance, is a phone number or address available to contact for more information?
- Is it clear who developed and wrote the material? Are his/her qualifications for writing on this topic clearly stated? Is there contact information for the author of the material?
Criterion #2: Accuracy
- Are the sources for factual information given so they can be verified?
- Is it clear who has the responsibility for the accuracy of the information presented?
- If statistical data is presented in graphs or charts, are they labeled clearly?
- Are there errors you can substantiate in the data presented?
Criterion #3: Objectivity
- Is the page and the information included provided as a public service?
- Is it free of advertising?
- If there is advertising on the page, is it clearly separated from the informational content?
- Are there any other signs of bias?
Criterion #4: Currency
Are there dates on the page to indicate the following:
- When the page was written?
- When the page was first placed on line?
- When the page was last revised or edited?
- Are there any other indications that the material is updated frequently to ensure currency of the data?
- If the information is published in print in different editions, is it clear what edition the page is from?
- Are the links on the page up-to-date?
Criterion #5: Coverage
- Is there an indication that the page has been completed and is not still under construction?
- If there is a print equivalent to the Web page, is there clear indication of whether the entire work or only a portion of it is available on the Web?
- If the material is from a work that is out of copyright (as is often the case with a dictionary or thesaurus), has there been an effort to update the material to make it more current?
- Is there any other evidence of omissions?
- Does it cover the subject adequately?