Skip Navigation
Skip to Menu Toggle Button

Changing Residency Classification for Tuition Purposes

Learn how to update your residency for consideration for in-state tuition.

When you are admitted to University of Maryland Global Campus an initial determination of in-state or out-of-state/non-resident status will be made for tuition purposes. This status determination remains in effect until or unless it is successfully challenged.

In-State Status Requirements

To qualify for in-state status, you must meet the requirements in the University System of Maryland policy on student classification. You are responsible for providing the information necessary to establish eligibility for in-state status.

Policy Information

Read UMGC's residency for admission, tuition, and charge policy in the Administration section.


Petition for Change in Residency Classification

To apply for a change from out-of-state/non-resident to in-state status at University of Maryland Global Campus, you must file a Petition for Change in Classification for Tuition. You'll need to submit your petition via email in one PDF as early as possible, no later than the last day of registration for a semester or session, to be considered for in-state status for that semester or session. View the academic calendar for registration deadlines.

You must request a Comptroller's copy of your Maryland state tax return to submit with your petition form if you filed a Maryland state tax return for the last tax year. This process can take approximately 10 business days. The petition form includes instructions on how to make this request.

University System of Maryland Nonresident Tuition Differential Exemption – Maryland Dream Act

The Maryland Dream Act allows undocumented immigrants who graduated from a Maryland high school the opportunity to qualify for a non-resident tuition differential at public colleges and universities upon meeting certain eligibility requirements and submitting required documentation. Interested applicants must meet all requirements of the Nonresident Tuition Exemption for Eligible Maryland High School Graduates PDF

As authorized under Annotated Education Code of Maryland § 15-­‐106.8

General Information

Any student, other than a non-immigrant alien, within the meaning of 8 U.S.C. § 1101(A)(15), who meets all of the following requirements, shall be exempt from paying the non-resident tuition differential at all public colleges and universities in Maryland.


  1. Attended a public or nonpublic high school in Maryland;
  2. Graduated from a public or nonpublic high school in Maryland or received the equivalent of a high school diploma in Maryland;
  3. Registers as an entering student at a public institution of higher education in Maryland not later than 6 years after graduating from a public or non-public high school in Maryland or receiving the equivalent of a high school diploma in Maryland;
  4. If applicable, provides the institution with a copy of an affidavit regarding the filing of an application to become a permanent resident within 30 days after the individual becomes eligible to do so;
  5. If applicable, provides the institution with documentation that the student has complied with the requirement to register with the Selective Service System;
  6. Provides the institution with documentation that the individual or the individual’s parent or legal guardian has filed a Maryland income tax return annually for the 3-year period before the academic year in which the tuition rate exemption would apply;
  7. An individual shall retain the individual’s tuition status at a public institution of higher education if the individual:
    1. Uses an address in the State on the Maryland income tax return of the individual or the individual’s parent or legal guardian annually until the individual is awarded a degree from the public institution of higher education; and
    2. On or after June 15, 2012, was exempt from paying the out-of-state or out-of-county tuition rate at a public institution of higher education.

Procedures for Requesting an exemption from Non-Resident Tuition

Your institution has established deadlines for submission of exemption requests; however, requests are not to be submitted until you have been admitted to a USM institution. Once you are determined to be eligible for the exemption, you will continue to receive it as long as you fulfill the eligibility requirements or until the University no longer offers this exemption. The exemption covers the Nonresident Tuition differential and the Educational Fee differential charged to non-residents. Applying for the exemption does not alter your responsibility to pay by the campus deadline any non-resident tuition and associated fees that may be due before your eligibility is determined. If you are granted the exemption, any differential will be refunded. For institution-specific instructions regarding documentation and deadline dates, contact:

UMGC Residency Department

** Students that hold DACA status should not apply for Maryland’s Dream Act. Students should complete the Maryland Residency form on the application to request to be considered eligible for in-state tuition rates.

Residency Determination FAQs

Find answers to your questions about residency status for tuition purposes.

Contact Us

Our helpful admissions advisors can help you choose an academic program to fit your career goals, estimate your transfer credits, and develop a plan for your education costs that fits your budget. If you’re a current UMGC student, please visit the Help Center.

Personal Information
Contact Information
Additional Information
This field is required.
This field is required.

By submitting this form, you acknowledge that you intend to sign this form electronically and that your electronic signature is the equivalent of a handwritten signature, with all the same legal and binding effect. You are giving your express written consent without obligation for UMGC to contact you regarding our educational programs and services using e-mail, phone, or text, including automated technology for calls and/or texts to the mobile number(s) provided. For more details, including how to opt out, read our privacy policy or contact an admissions advisor.

Please wait, your form is being submitted.