- Award amounts: Award amounts for the individual scholarships in this pool may vary based on available annual funding, but the maximum combined total amount you can receive from most donor-funded and institutional scholarships is $2,000 per academic year.
- Disbursement information: UMGC will provide you information on term award disbursement (the process and timeline for financial aid funds, including scholarships, to be credited to your student account).
- Application invitation: If you meet the minimum qualifications listed above, you will be sent an invitation to complete the online scholarship application via email in the spring of each year.
How the Award Process Works
- Wait for an invitation in early spring of each academic year. The Office of Financial Aid will send you an email and a notification in the To Do List in the MyUMGC student portal in the spring of each academic year in which you meet the baseline eligibility criteria, inviting you to fill out a scholarship application. Invitations are sent only once per year. Students who first meet the minimum eligibility criteria after the spring invitations are sent in a given year must wait until the following spring to receive an invitation to apply.
- Submit the application as soon as possible. Scholarship awards for the upcoming academic year are based on funding availability, so complete the application as soon as possible.
- Wait for an award notification by late-fall. The Office of Financial Aid will notify you of your scholarship award status via email and through a notification in the MyUMGC To Do List. You will receive a notification if you are matched to a scholarship or if you do not receive a scholarship.
Students who continue to meet all eligibility requirements for these scholarships will be invited to complete an application annually.
The initial round of awarding of UMGC donor-funded scholarships begins after the priority application filing deadline has passed. Students who are selected to receive a donor-funded scholarship will be notified at the time of awarding, and the scholarship will appear in the MyUMGC Student Portal. After the first round of awards is complete, students who were not selected will be notified by email, typically in late fall. However, as scholarship awards are adjusted throughout the aid year and funding becomes available, all applications continue to be reviewed for eligibility. It is possible that students could be selected for a donor-funded scholarship at any point throughout the aid year, as funding availability allows.
Yes. You should submit the online scholarship application by the priority filing date for maximum consideration. However, if you have been invited to apply via your to-do list, you are still allowed to submit your online scholarship application until the application link is no longer available.
Yes. Most UMGC scholarships require undergraduate and graduate students to enroll in at least 6 credits for the semester for which the scholarship has been awarded. Failure to comply with the enrollment requirement may result in a cancellation of the scholarships. You are responsible for any balances incurred as a result of the cancellation.
We aim to offer scholarship funding to as many eligible students as possible each year based on available funding. For this reason, it is rare for students to receive more than one donor-funded or institutional scholarship in an aid year.
James S., MS in Cybersecurity Policy