With a Bachelor of Science in political science from University of Maryland Global Campus, you’ll develop a comprehensive understanding of U.S. government and global politics. By analyzing political structures, theory, and problems, you’ll learn to interpret complex political problems in both the public and private sectors and propose potential solutions. You'll also have an opportunity to enhance your professionalism and fine-tune your communication and organizational skills.
These requirements are for students who enroll in the 2021–2022 academic year. For prior year academic requirements, visit our catalog archive.
This program is also available as a minor.
About the Political Science Bachelor's Degree
What You'll Learn
Through your coursework, you will learn how to
- Participate in and influence government at all levels based on understanding of the establishment, structure, and interaction of governmental institutions
- Use effective writing, research, analysis, advocacy, identification techniques, and coalition-building skills to develop and influence policy at the national and international levels
- Conduct, analyze, and evaluate theoretical and empirical research for specific problems to affect domestic and international policy by applying political theory, systems, and processes in organizational environments
- Apply knowledge of ethical principles and issues to public policy and politics
In past projects, students have had the opportunity to
- Complete an in-depth country analysis with particular stress on political-economic issues to produce a white paper to assist governments or corporations in assessing political or economic risks
- Develop a counterterrorism plan for a specific organization
- Choose a policy-oriented organization and research an issue to present
Political Science Bachelor's Degree Requirements
Our curriculum is designed with input from employers, industry experts, and scholars. You'll learn theories combined with real-world applications and practical skills you can apply on the job right away.
Courses in the Major
Total Credits Required: 120
- Required Major Courses: 30
- Minor and Elective Courses: 49
- General Education Courses: 41
Required Major Courses
- GVPT 100
- GVPT 101
- GVPT 170 or GVPT 200
- GVPT 280
- GVPT 306
- GVPT 409 or any upper-level GVPT course
- GVPT 403 or any upper-level GVPT course
- GVPT 406
- GVPT 457 or any upper-level GVPT course
- GVPT 495
General Education Requirements
UMGC outlines the options available to fulfill the 41 credits of general education coursework for bachelor's degrees on the General Education Requirements webpage.
In addition to the major, elective, and general education courses and requirements outlined on this page, please review the overall bachelor's degree requirements.
This program is designed to help you prepare for graduate study or careers in areas such as policy development for think tanks, research at intelligence agencies, and political campaign management, as well as other work with local and state governments or nonprofit organizations.
I think UMGC is a good place for people like me who have to work—not only for school but also for a living.
International Broadcaster, Voice of America
Political Science Bachelor's Degree
Student Clubs and Organizations
Type: Honor society
Available To: Undergraduate
Pi Gamma Mu is the international honor society that recognizes outstanding scholarship in the social sciences at UMGC. Students interested in anthropology, criminal justice, economics, gerontology, history, political science, social psychology, sociology, and women's studies may qualify for membership. The society recently named UMGC's Maryland Theta chapter to its Roll of Distinction, the highest honor that the society grants. Winner of the 2020 UMGC Student Organization Awards Best in Show Activities and Events Award!
About the Faculty
Our world-class faculty members combine academic credentials with a wealth of experience in the field.
Faculty members in this program hold or have recently held positions including
- Independent contractor
Our faculty work or have worked at organizations including
- Defense Intelligence Agency
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
- U.S. Department of Defense
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- U.S. Department of State