Learn about this academic year’s rules and requirements for bachelor’s degrees.
In addition to general education requirements and major, minor, and elective requirements, the overall requirements listed below apply to all bachelor's degrees at University of Maryland Global Campus. The degree requirements that apply to you are those that were in effect when you began continuous enrollment at UMGC.
These requirements are for students who enroll in the 2023–2024 academic year. For prior year academic requirements, visit our catalog archive.
Overall Bachelor's Degree Requirements
You must be admitted as an undergraduate UMGC student.
You must complete a minimum of 120 credits.
You must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0 overall and a minimum grade of C for any class applied to the major.
You must complete all general education requirements, including PACE 111 as your first course at UMGC. If you have 60 or more credits, you may be eligible to take (3 Credits, PACE 100), which provides a condensed orientation to UMGC.
You must complete all coursework required for an academic major, which typically requires 30 to 39 credits of core coursework, and may also include related requirements as defined below and outlined on the individual program pages.
At least 36 credits must be upper-level (i.e. earned in courses numbered 300 to 499)
At least half the required number of credits for any major must be earned through graded coursework. Credits earned by examination, portfolio assessment, and noncollegiate training do not count as graded coursework.
Within the 120 credits required, the following coursework must be taken through UMGC:
30 credits (normally the final 30).
Half of the required number of credits within the major (if you are not majoring in applied technology or general studies) or a minor (if you choose to complete a minor)
15 credits at the upper-level (i.e. earned in courses numbered 300 to 499)
Requirements for the major include academic core coursework and, depending on the major, may also include related courses.
Academic Core Requirements
The number of credits required to complete an academic major varies according to academic program. At least half the credits earned within the major must be upper level (i.e., earned in courses numbered 300 and higher) and must be earned through UMGC. No grade may be lower than C. Specific coursework is outlined on each bachelor's degree webpage.
Many majors require specific supporting coursework in other fields in addition to coursework in the major. These courses are required to complete the major and graduate. Coursework that fulfills related requirements may be applied to general education or elective requirements.
Choosing a minor is optional but strongly encouraged.
- You may not take a major and minor in the same area and may not receive a dual minor.
The number of credits required to complete an academic minor varies by program.
- At least half the credits earned within the minor must be upper-level (unless otherwise specified) and must be earned through UMGC.
- You must earn a minimum grade of C for any class applied to the minor.
- Specific coursework for each minor is outlined on the academic minors webpage.
Electives may be taken in any academic discipline. Pass/fail credit, up to a maximum of 18 credits, may be applied toward electives only. Many related requirements for the major may be applied to electives.
How to Double Major
You can earn a double major upon completion of all requirements for both majors, including the required minimum number of credits for each major and all related requirements for both majors. The same course cannot be used to fulfill requirements for more than one major. Certain restrictions (including use of credit and acceptable combinations of majors) apply for double majors. You cannot major in two programs with excessive overlap of required coursework. Contact an advisor before selecting a double major.
How to Earn a Second Bachelor's Degree
If you've earned a UMGC bachelor's degree, you can earn a second bachelor's degree in as few as 30 credits. An advisor can explain the requirements for a second bachelor's degree and help you decide if it's the right path for you. The general studies major may not be selected as a second bachelor's degree.
- You must have received the first bachelor's degree to be eligible to begin a second.
- For a second bachelor's degree, you need to complete at least 30 new credits through UMGC after completing the first degree. The combined credit in both degrees must add up to at least 150 credits.
- You may not earn a second bachelor's degree with a double major; a second degree in general studies; or a second associate degree within the second bachelor's degree.
- To qualify for academic honors in a second bachelor's degree, you must complete at least 30 new credits through UMGC with the required grade point average.
- You must complete all requirements for the major. All course prerequisites apply.
- If any major requirements were satisfied in the previous degree, the remainder necessary to complete the minimum 30 credits of new coursework should be satisfied with courses related to the major.
- For purposes of determining what major requirements apply, the applicable date is the date you started coursework at UMGC after being admitted into the second undergraduate degree program.
- As with other degrees, continuous enrollment at UMGC is required.
- A minimum grade point average of 2.0 in all courses taken through UMGC is required for graduation.