Follow your interests and prepare for a career in digital design with University of Maryland Global Campus's Bachelor of Science in digital media and web technology, which allows you to explore web or digital design. You’ll learn how to create digital works using industry-standard software and incorporating design theory and efficient workflows. Through your coursework, you can gain hands-on experience in web design, electronic publishing, motion graphics, multimedia, animation, and graphic design.
These requirements are for students who enroll in the 2020–2021 academic year. For prior year academic requirements, visit our catalog archive.
This program is also available as a minor.
About the Digital Media and Web Technology Bachelor's Degree
What You'll Learn
Through your coursework, you will learn how to
- Design, develop, and manage digital media using current and emerging technologies that adhere to industry standards
- Analyze needs and effectively manage projects and resources, applying sound business principles and technology
- Design and develop digital, interactive, and web-based media to meet customer requirements and usability standards
- Develop, test, and implement web and multimedia applications using techniques for scripting and programming
- Apply relevant theories, practices, and principles effectively when designing and developing works in digital media
In past projects, students have had the opportunity to
- Use Adobe InDesign to create publications for print, web, and mobile devices
- Create a business kit including a company logo, letterhead, business card, and envelope for a client
- Create simple animation and motion graphics that featured animated text, digital video, flash animation, and more
Digital Media and Web Technology Bachelor's Degree Requirements
Our curriculum is designed with input from employers, industry experts, and scholars. You'll learn theories combined with real-world applications and practical skills you can apply on the job right away.
Courses in the Major
Total Credits Required: 120
- Required Major Courses: 30
- Minor and Elective Courses: 49
- General Education Courses: 41
Required Major Courses
- CMST 290
- CMST 295
- CMST 495
- Any upper-level CMST courses (21 credits)—Focused study in web or digital design recommended; please see the Degree Focus tab for details
Choose from one of these recommended groups of classes or mix and match to align with your career goals and interests.
Web Design Focus
- CMST 385
- CMST 386
- CMST 325
- CMST 320
- CMST 388
- CMST 450
- CMST 488
Digital Design Focus
- CMST 310
- CMST 311
- CMST 325
- CMST 320
- CMST 425
- CMST 341
- CMST 351
General Education Requirements
UMGC outlines the options available to fulfill the 41 credits of general education coursework for bachelor's degrees on the General Education Requirements webpage.
In addition to the major, elective, and general education courses and requirements outlined on this page, please review the overall bachelor's degree requirements.
This program is designed to help prepare you to work in areas such as web design, electronic publishing, motion graphics, multimedia, animation, and graphic design.
About the Faculty
Our world-class faculty members combine academic credentials with a wealth of experience in the field.
Faculty members in this program hold or have recently held positions including
- Associate director of application development
- Director of web strategy
- Graphic designer
- Media arts manager
- Senior associate/technical lead
- Web application developer
- Web content administrator
- Web developer
Our faculty work or have worked at organizations including
- American Council on Education
- American Society of Health System Pharmaceuticals
- Baltimore City Community College
- Corporate Zen Inc.
- ICF International
- KEYW Corporation
- Lynn University
- Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission