Skip Navigation
Skip to Menu Toggle Button

Education Benefits for
Spouses & Dependents

Explore the education benefits and other payment options available to military spouses and dependents.

If you qualify for veterans education benefits as a spouse or dependent child of an active-duty servicemember or veteran, you can use those benefits to help pay for your education at University of Maryland Global Campus.

If you have questions about how your benefits will work at UMGC, please contact our specially trained admissions advisors. If you have specific questions about your eligibility or are trying to decide between benefits, please contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts

The My Career Advancement Account Scholarship is a workforce development program that provides eligible military spouses with up to $4,000 in financial assistance toward an Associate of Arts or approved undergraduate certificate that leads to a third-party validated industry certification. The program is capped at $2,000 per year and is available to spouses of active-duty military personnel in pay grades E1-E5, W1-W2, and O1-O2 (E6 and O-3 for first 1250 approved applicants).

MyCAA Eligible Programs

The U.S. Department of Defense administers the MyCAA Scholarship Program, which covers tuition for courses and exams that lead to any and all associate degrees. The DoD summarizes the program at a high level, explaining that the scholarship "covers the costs for obtaining a license, certificate, or certification at an accredited college, university or technical school in the United States or approved testing organization that expands employment or portable career opportunities for military spouses."

In addition to UMGC's Associate of Arts, the following UMGC undergraduate certificate programs are also eligible for MyCAA funding: Advanced Management, Computer Networking, and Cyber Threat Hunting. You can apply all of the credits you earn in one of these undergraduate certificate programs to an associate or bachelor's degree. Learn about the MyCAA-eligible programs for students in Europe and Asia.

Eligibility for Military Spouse Benefits

Spouses of service members on active duty in pay grades E-1 to E-6, W-1 to W-2 and O-1 to O-3 who have successfully completed high school and have the ability to request tuition assistance while their military sponsor is on Title 10 military orders are eligible. Spouses married to members of the National Guard and reserves in these same pay grades are eligible.

How to Get Started in the MyCAA Program

Getting started using your MyCAA benefit at UMGC is easy.

  1. Set up a profile in MyCAA.
  2. Review and digitally sign the MyCAA online Statement of Understanding Terms and Conditions.
  3. Develop a career and training plan; MyCAA does not reimburse for classes that have already started.
  4. Search for UMGC using the School Search function under the Resources tab.
  5. Apply to UMGC.

Chapter 33: Post-9/11 GI Bill®

Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits are paid based on your sponsor's percent of eligibility and at the rate at which you pursue your degree. Tuition and fee payments are disbursed directly to UMGC. Dependent children of active-duty servicemembers are eligible to receive the monthly housing allowance. Spouses are not eligible.

Chapter 35: Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

DEA benefits are paid directly to you in monthly benefits based on your training time (in an eight-week session, you must take at least 5 credits to receive your maximum benefit). If you are using Chapter 35 benefits, you are responsible for paying your tuition and fees directly to the university.

The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship

Fry Scholarship benefits include tuition and fees paid directly to UMGC. Allowances for resource materials and supplies are based on the number of credit hours enrolled and housing allowances are based on your rate of pursuit. For academic terms beginning after August 1, 2018, Fry Scholarship recipients are eligible for Yellow Ribbon Program benefits.

Beginning December 17, 2021 Post-9/11 GI Bill® students who receive Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) and/or kicker payments are required to verify their enrollment to continue receiving their payments.

Yellow Ribbon Program

Spouses and dependent children of veterans with 100 percent eligibility under the Post-9/11 GI Bill who are paying out-of-state tuition may qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program, decreasing out-of-pocket costs.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. More information about education benefits offered by VA is available on the U.S. government GI Bill website.

Training Time

Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty (Chapter 30) benefits are paid directly to you in monthly benefits based on your training time. Please see the details below.

Percent of Eligibility

Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits are paid based on your percent of eligibility and the rate at which you pursue your degree. Please see the details below.

Admission Events

Get to know UMGC by registering for an event online or at one of our regional locations.

Contact Us

Our helpful admissions advisors can help you choose an academic program to fit your career goals, estimate your transfer credits, and develop a plan for your education costs that fits your budget. If you’re a current UMGC student, please visit the Help Center.

Personal Information
Contact Information
Additional Information
This field is required.
This field is required.

By submitting this form, you acknowledge that you intend to sign this form electronically and that your electronic signature is the equivalent of a handwritten signature, with all the same legal and binding effect. You are giving your express written consent without obligation for UMGC to contact you regarding our educational programs and services using e-mail, phone, or text, including automated technology for calls and/or texts to the mobile number(s) provided. For more details, including how to opt out, read our privacy policy or contact an admissions advisor.

Please wait, your form is being submitted.