FAQs for Military-Affiliated Students

Is UMGC an accredited university? +

UMGC is accredited and adheres to standards set by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. UMGC is one of the 12 member institutions of the renowned University System of Maryland.

Is UMGC a military-trusted university? +

Yes. UMGC is proud to have served the U.S. Armed Forces since 1947, and we have long been recognized as one of the top universities in the country for military-affiliated students. That means our leaders, administrators, and faculty understand the military and the demands of your job. We offer a range of programs and services created specifically for military servicemembers and their spouses and dependent children, and our dedicated military and veteran advising teams are here to provide the guidance and support you need no matter where your service or civilian career takes you.

Does UMGC offer on-site and hybrid courses? +

Yes. UMGC offers hybrid courses (combining on-site meetings with online coursework and interactions) at more than 20 locations in the continental United States. On-site courses are offered through UMGC Asia and UMGC Europe in more than 20 countries and territories worldwide, including at military installations. In total, UMGC has more than 170 classroom and service locations throughout the world.

Is UMGC a respected school within the armed forces? +

At UMGC, you'll earn a degree that's respected on the job market and within the armed forces.

With more than 80,000 students and more than 50,000 military servicemembers, veterans, and military family members , we're known around the globe for our academic excellence. UMGC is one of the 12 member institutions of the renowned University System of Maryland.

UMGC has been serving veterans since 1947. We currently enroll more than 50,000 active-duty servicemembers, reservists, National Guard members, veterans, and their family members, and have earned a worldwide reputation for academic excellence.

UMGC has been recognized time and again for our dedication to serving America’s military veterans and servicemembers.

Does UMGC accept credit for military experience? +

Yes. Learn more about how you can earn credit for your military training and education.

If I'm in the military, what's the fastest path to a degree at UMGC? +

Pursue your associate's degree at UMGC, and we'll do everything we can to help you reach your goal as quickly as possible. This includes awarding you academic credit toward your degree for the valuable experience you've gained in the armed forces and your military education. Your credits can transfer toward general education requirements, coursework in your major, or electives. We offer many different paths to credit.

Can I take classes at UMGC if I’m deployed or have to move? +

Online learning gives you the flexibility to continue your education wherever your military service takes you. Our eight-week undergraduate courses help you fit your education around training and deployments.

Additionally, our experienced and military-trusted faculty and staff are here to help you. Professors can work with you to modify deadlines around your training and deployments. If your duty status prevents you from staying in a class, then our specially trained military staff can help you create a plan to stay on track.

Tuition and Payment FAQs

Can I afford to attend UMGC? +

With state university tuition rates, flexible transfer credit programs, scholarships, and financial aid, UMGC can help you bring a degree within reach. We'll help you develop a plan that's affordable for you.

How do I know if I qualify for the military tuition rate at UMGC? +

We help make education more affordable by offering a discounted military tuition rate for eligible military servicemembers and their spouses and dependent children.

Student veterans and their spouses and dependent children can qualify for the military rate if they are currently in one of the categories listed at the link above, or they may qualify for the in-state rate if they are residing in Maryland and meet certain other requirements. Please contact our residency office at residency@umgc.edu for more information.

Additionally, our admissions advisors can help you pursue all payment options, including educational benefits, financial aid, and scholarships.

How do I submit proof of my military status to UMGC? +

To receive the reduced military tuition rate, within 30 days of the date that you submitted your application for admission to UMGC, you must submit documentation to verify your eligibility and secure the discounted rate. If you do not submit sufficient documentation within the deadline, your tuition rate will be changed to the appropriate rate.

Contact an admissions advisor for more information.

Where can I find UMGC's tuition rates? +

Learn all you can about our affordable tuition rates. If you know which program you're interested in, you can find ballpark costs on the degree or certificate page.

Does UMGC have a payment plan for tuition and fees? +

Yes. Learn more about how you can manage your payments with UMGC's interest-free monthly payment plan.

Can I use a payment plan to assist in settling my account balance? +

Yes. You could be eligible to participate in an interest-free monthly payment plan. This plan gives you financial flexibility by allowing you to spread out payment for tuition and fees over several months. Instead of writing one big check to cover your college costs, you can make several smaller, more manageable monthly payments—and there are absolutely no interest charges, just a small nonrefundable application fee. Talk to an admissions advisor to learn more.

Will military Tuition Assistance cover my costs at UMGC? +

Military Tuition Assistance is a benefit that pays for your tuition. Each branch of the armed forces has its own criteria for this assistance. If you qualify, your branch will pay UMGC directly, reducing your out-of-pocket costs. While Tuition Assistance pays up to 100 percent of your undergraduate tuition (up to fiscal year caps, which vary by military service branch), it does not cover all costs, such as resource materials or all graduate tuition. Financial aid can help meet these additional costs.

If I qualify for military Tuition Assistance, when can I expect it to be applied? +

Tuition Assistance will be applied to your account within 48 hours of receipt. If your account does not reflect your tuition assistance payment after 48 hours, please contact Third-Party Billing.

How do I apply for Tuition Assistance if I'm in the Coast Guard, Navy, or Marine Corps? +

Please visit Tuition Assistance for Military Personnel and go to the Military Branches section for information about Tuition Assistance for members of the military.

Can I use my military benefits to complete a second bachelor's or master's degree? +

No. If you’ve already earned a bachelor’s or master’s degree, the military will not pay for another bachelor’s or master’s degree. The military will only pay for one of each.

Can I use my veterans benefits to complete a second bachelor's or master's degree? +

If you have already earned a bachelor's or master's degree and you have eligibility for benefits remaining, benefits are allowed for a second bachelor's or master's degree. To find out how much of your veterans benefits you have remaining, please contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

How do I find out which veterans education benefits I qualify for? +

Only the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs can determine your eligibility for benefits.

You are required to apply for veterans benefits online at https://benefits.va.gov/benefits. You will receive an automated e-mail response confirming your application has been received.

While the VA processes the VONAPP (which may take up to eight weeks), you should complete the UMGC Request for Certification. You may have your military transcripts and transcripts from any other schools sent to us while the VA processes your application. Once you receive your Certification of Eligibility from the VA, you are required to submit the form to the Veterans Certification Office at COEVA@umgc.edu.

Learn more about veterans benefits.

How do hybrid courses affect housing allowance? +

As a military veteran, if you qualify for veterans education benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill, you may be eligible for a housing allowance.

Our military and veterans admissions advisors can help you understand how the classes you take affect your housing benefit. For students interested in full-time enrollment, we recommend you pursue at least 6 credits at a time and at least 12 credits per semester for undergraduate students and at least 6 credits at a time for graduate students. We also recommend you take at least one hybrid course in each session. Hybrid classes combine online coursework with on-site meetings at our 20+ locations in Maryland, D.C., and Virginia.

We offer hybrid courses in the first and last eight-week sessions of our academic calendar. We recommend you take take 6 credits in Session 1 and 6 credits in Session 2. During each session, at least one course should be a hybrid course. This will ensure four months of uninterrupted housing allowance in the spring and fall semesters.

Does UMGC participate in the Post-9/11 GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program? +

Yes. Under the Yellow Ribbon Program, UMGC maintains a voluntary agreement with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. We contribute funds to help make up the portion of your tuition and fees that is not covered by the Post-9/11 GI Bill, an education benefit program for veteran student who were active-duty military personnel after September 10, 2001. The Yellow Ribbon Program enables us to contribute up to 50 percent of your unmet costs, and the Department of Veterans Affairs matches that amount. You are required to be 100 percent eligible for Post-9/11 benefits to receive Yellow Ribbon funding.

Can I transfer my military education benefits to a spouse or dependent child? +

The Department of Defense determines if a military servicemember can transfer his or her Post-9/11 education benefits to a spouse or dependent child. If a spouse or dependent child is approved, the spouse or dependent child must apply to use the transferred benefits by completing VA Form 22-1990e.