University of Maryland Global Campus offers a special undergraduate military rate for active-duty military servicemembers and members of the National Guard and Reserves, so Tuition Assistance covers up to 100 percent of tuition.

And if you're a graduate student and active duty, you could also qualify for reduced tuition rates for most programs. Plus, we've outlined a straightforward process for you to get started on your education whether you're in the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, National Guard, Navy, or Reserves.

Note: All active-duty servicemembers (including Guard and Reserve) must contact their Education Service Officer (ESO) or Education Counselor within their branch of service prior to enrolling in any college or university.

Military Branches

Each branch of the military handles Tuition Assistance a little differently. If you are in the Army, you will use GoArmyEd to register for courses and have Tuition Assistance applied. If you're in the Air Force, you'll need to register through UMGC and then apply for Tuition Assistance through the Air Force Virtual Education Center.

If you are in the Coast Guard, Navy, or Marine Corps, you will need to contact your Education Center to request a tuition assistance form. Once you have the tuition assistance form signed by your education coordinator, submit it at the time of registration using one of the following methods:

  1. Web form (preferred):
    • Visit the Help Center.
    • Click Continue under the Open Case/Submit Documents header. For Case Type, select Billing/Payments.
    • Under Assistance Category, select Tuition Assistance.
    • Complete the remainder of this form and attach your tuition assistance form. By providing us with the required information in this form, you'll help us expedite the processing time of your authorization.
  2. E-mail: Please e-mail your tuition assistance form using one of the following addresses:
  3. Fax: If fax is the only way you can submit your tuition assistance form, please fax it to 301-985-7858.

Please allow 48 hours for your student account to be updated. After your tuition assistance form is posted to your student account, the amount assumed by the agency is deferred to the agency account. No exchange of money has taken place at this time. UMGC reserves the right to reinstate all unpaid tuition assistance invoices back to your student account. You are ultimately responsible for all charges.

Tuition assistance forms that are not received within the allotted semester (fall, spring, or summer) will not be posted. Exceptions will be made for deployed soldiers or corrections.

If you are using Tuition Assistance and withdraw from a course prior to completing 60 percent of the course, you may be required to pay a portion of the tuition, in accordance with Department of Defense regulations.

For more information, contact your military branch for details on your eligibility and the branch's process for submitting the tuition assistance forms.

Top-Up with Veterans Educational Benefits

If Tuition Assistance doesn't cover your educational costs, you may be able to top-up by using your veterans educational benefits to help pay for your UMUC education.