FAQs: Getting Started for Transfer Students

How can I get credit for my work experience? +

You have the opportunity to earn credit for college-level learning gained through life and work experience. Learn about fast paths to credit.

How quickly can I complete my undergraduate degree at UMGC? +

How long it takes you to complete degree requirements depends on various factors:

  • The number of credits you transfer
  • The number of credits you complete each term
  • The number of credits you earn through alternative options

Ask an admissions advisor to help you develop a plan for completing your degree efficiently and quickly.

Why do I need to send my high school transcripts to UMGC? +

Please see UMGC's undergraduate admissions criteria for regular-status students to learn more about when and why a high school transcript is necessary.

How can I transfer my credit to UMGC? +

You are required to have official copies of transcripts sent to UMGC from all institutions you have attended. In some cases, we can ask for additional documentation, such as a syllabus and/or course description, to evaluate credit for possible transfer. Note that if you have taken exams (CLEP/DSST/ACT/PEP/Excelsior), your score report is required to complete an official evaluation.

Get complete information on how to transfer your credit to UMGC.

FAQs: Planning Your Degree

I am transferring from another university. Can I use that coursework in my degree plan? +

Yes. Subject to the limits on maximum credit, source of credit, and application to the degree requirements, you can use transfer credit toward your UMGC degree. Credit for military or professional experience can also be applicable.

Which classes should I take while I am waiting for my official evaluation of transfer credit? +

Start at the beginning of the degree planning worksheet, with the first and introductory courses, and select the first course you have not taken before. (Except for placement testing, first and introductory courses generally do not have prerequisites.) Work your way through the courses in sequence.

For example, if you have taken no library research or first-year English courses, take LIBS 150, and/or WRTG 101 (based on the placement exam) first. If you do have freshman English but aren't sure of the equivalency, take other first courses or introductory courses until you receive your evaluation. You should select courses in disciplines that you know you have not yet studied. An advisor can help you with this process.

I'm transferring as an upper-level student. How can I get started with my degree plan? +

You will proceed like any other transfer student but will likely start further along on the degree plan. If you have an associate degree, for example, you probably have covered most of the General Education Requirements and can find yourself beginning with foundation courses or even additional major courses. Just be careful not to select a course for which you can have an exact duplicate, or a course with a prerequisite. If you know there will be a lot of overlap, for example, you are bringing more than 60 credits in transfer and have already taken many courses in your major at UMGC, you might want to start on your minor or some of your electives until you secure your evaluation.

In addition, you probably have acquired enough lower-level courses that you might need to concentrate on upper-level choices, especially in the major and minor. Your admissions advisor can help you find the right courses.

FAQs: Transcripts

Am I required to provide an official transcript(s) for previous education if I plan to enroll as a nondegree-seeking student or if I will audit courses? +

Yes. All applicants planning to enroll in courses at UMGC must provide evidence of high school completion (or its equivalent) or 30 college credits (for those who applied on or after March 30, 2020) to enroll beyond two terms after admission.

This does not include current students of the University System of Maryland or F-1 students visiting from another institution who receive written permission from their home institution to enroll at UMGC for transfer credit purposes. In either of these cases, we do not require official transcripts; however, unofficial transcripts might be required to confirm that prerequisites are met for specific courses, when needed.

My transcript was sent to UMGC electronically, but it doesn't show in my account. What should I do? +

Contact your transcript provider to confirm the transcript was submitted, when it was sent, when it was received, and who received it. Students should also allow up to three business days for the transcript to show as received when sent electronically and confirmed as received. Provide this information to your admissions advisor.

Does UMGC offer a generic high school request form I can send to my school? +

Not at this time. However, each high school may have their own form, procedure, and/or requirements for transcript requests. You should always follow the form and procedure indicated by your high school to assure timely processing of your transcript request.

How do I remove the hold on my account if I have submitted my high school transcript or other collegiate transcripts verifying completion of 30 credits? +

This hold will be removed from your student account automatically once UMGC has verified that you have satisfied the requirement by one of the following:

  • Verifying receipt of your official high school transcript

  • Verifying the completion of 30 credits (if you applied to UMGC on or after March 30, 2020) from another regionally accredited college or university as documented by official transcript

The process, from receipt of your high school transcript to removal of the hold, should be completed within 24 hours. If you have satisfied the requirement (and the hold is showing via your student account) and need to register immediately, please contact an admissions advisor.

How long does it take for UMGC to receive my official transcripts? +

The delivery time for transcripts varies by the transcript medium, sending institution, and carrier. In general, transcripts sent via mail or parcel service take an average of ten (10) business days. Keep in mind that some transcripts can take longer than that, and transcripts from outside of the United States will take longer. In general, electronic transcripts are typically received within two business days. If UMGC has not received your transcript within the average time frame, you should check with the sending institution to confirm the date sent.

Where can I view the status of any transcripts I had sent to UMGC? +

You can view the status of your transcripts by logging into your student account.

Does UMGC accept military transcripts as proof of high school graduation or equivalency? +

For students applying on or after January 7, 2021, UMGC accepts the Joint Services Transcript and Community College of the Air Force transcripts as proof of high school graduation or equivalency. On a case-by-case basis, UMGC may accept other military service verification records as proof of high school graduation or equivalency.

If you applied to UMGC prior to January 7, 2021 and have questions about this requirement, please e-mail admissions@umgc.edu.

FAQs: Which Credits Transfer?

How many credits can I transfer? +

Whether you've taken classes at a community college or a four-year school, learned on the job or through military experience, we'll help you transfer credits. You can transfer up to 90 credits from a four-year university or up to 70 credits from a two-year college toward an undergraduate program.

Will my previous coursework be transferred to UMGC? +

UMGC has very flexible transfer policies for undergraduate coursework. You can transfer up to 90 credits from a four-year university or up to 70 credits from a two-year community college or school.

To get an estimate of how your previous coursework will transfer, contact an admissions advisor for a preliminary estimate. Be sure to indicate the major you are interested in. Preliminary estimates take up to three business days. You can also use UMGC's transfer credit tool to determine how credits earned at a Maryland community college or alliance institution can transfer to UMGC.

UMGC accepts up to 6 credits of graduate coursework from regionally accredited universities.

Please note that credits can't be transferred from a completed undergraduate or graduate degree.

I am transferring from another university. Can I use that coursework in my degree plan? +

Yes. Subject to the limits on maximum credit, source of credit, and application to the degree requirements, you can use transfer credit toward your UMGC degree. Credit for military or professional experience can also be applicable.

FAQs: Military Transfer Credits

Does UMGC accept credit for military experience? +

Yes. Learn more about how you can earn credit for your military training and education.

If I'm in the military, what's the fastest path to a degree at UMGC? +

Pursue your associate's degree at UMGC, and we'll do everything we can to help you reach your goal as quickly as possible. This includes awarding you academic credit toward your degree for the valuable experience you've gained in the armed forces and your military education. Your credits can transfer toward general education requirements, coursework in your major, or electives. We offer many different paths to credit.

FAQs: Completion Scholarship

Am I eligible for the Completion Scholarship if I have dual enrollment from a Maryland community college? +

If you have dual enrollment, you are eligible for the Completion Scholarship once you complete your associate's degree. You must have earned a cumulative 2.0 GPA at both institutions to be considered.

Does my eligibility for the Completion Scholarship depend on the date I earned my associate's degree from a Maryland community college? +

No. It does not matter when you earned your associate's degree from a Maryland community college.

Am I eligible for the UMGC Completion Scholarship if I'm on a visa? +

No. Only U.S. citizens and permanent resident noncitizens are eligible for the scholarship.

Am I eligible for the Completion Scholarship if I'm an active-duty servicemember or veteran? +

If your military Tuition Assistance pays 100 percent of your tuition and fees, you are not eligible for the scholarship.

Veteran students using education benefits are eligible if they are Maryland residents and meet other scholarship eligibility criteria.

Am I eligible for the Completion Scholarship if my employer provides tuition remission? +

If your employer's tuition remission or assistance pays 100 percent of your tuition and fees, you are not eligible for the scholarship. If you receive partial employer tuition remission or assistance, you are eligible for the scholarship if you meet the other scholarship eligibility requirements. However, the scholarship award may be pro-rated based on remaining balance due.

Employees of UMGC and their dependents as well as anyone who receives remission of fees from other institutions are not eligible for UMGC institutional scholarships, including the Completion Scholarship.

Does the UMGC Completion Scholarship pay for summer classes at UMGC? +

No. To take courses in the summer, you will have to budget for and pay standard UMGC tuition and fees for the summer term because scholarship disbursements are only made in the fall and spring terms. However, your subsequent disbursements will be adjusted so that, by the end of your degree program, the average cost of all credits—including those taken in the summer—will be $199.

Will the Completion Scholarship per-credit award amount be increased when UMGC tuition increases? +

Yes. The Completion Scholarship will be adjusted accordingly to ensure your cost per credit remains at $199. Your overall cost may be higher than $12,000 if you need to attempt more than the 60 credits allowed (e.g. if you need to repeat withdrawn or failed courses, choose to switch programs during your study, or wish to take extra courses).

Can the UMGC Completion Scholarship be used for books? +

No. The UMGC Completion Scholarship can only be applied to tuition and fees. Scholarship funds are not eligible for a refund.

Do I need to fill out the FAFSA to be eligible for the Completion Scholarship? +

The FAFSA is not required. However, it is strongly recommended that you complete the FAFSA to be reviewed for eligibility for other forms of institutional, state, and federal aid, since the Completion Scholarship does not cover the full cost of tuition and fees.

Please note: If you are a financial aid recipient, you must complete all federal requirements in order to receive Title IV funding.

Can I receive additional scholarships if I've been awarded the UMGC Completion Scholarship? +

It is possible for you to receive additional scholarships at UMGC. You must complete the FAFSA to be considered for other forms of institutional, federal, or state aid. Please keep in mind that if you receive multiple scholarships, amounts may be adjusted or canceled in compliance with our institutional funding limit policy.

Can I receive the UMGC Completion Scholarship for graduate study? +

No. The scholarship is only awarded to undergraduate students.

What happens if I receive a grade of D, F, FN, W, or Incomplete while I am receiving the UMGC Completion Scholarship? +

Courses cannot be repeated under the terms of eligibility for the UMGC Completion Scholarship. If you receive an F or FN in a course or a D in a course required for your major and minor, the scholarship will be terminated. If your term GPA falls below a 2.0, you will no longer be eligible for the scholarship. You also must meet satisfactory academic progress standards, which can be affected by a grade of W or Incomplete.

Can I repeat a course and maintain the UMGC Completion Scholarship? +

No. Courses cannot be repeated under the eligibility requirements of the UMGC Completion Scholarship.

FAQs: Community College

If I am currently enrolled at UMGC, can I take additional courses at one of our partner community colleges? +

Whether you can take additional courses from the community college through the alliance will depend on the number of credits originally transferred to UMGC from a community college. Check with a UMGC admissions advisor before deciding to return to the community college for additional credit.

If I am admitted to an alliance community college, am I automatically admitted to UMGC? +

No, you are required to complete the UMGC admission application. Once you are admitted to UMGC, you can be dually enrolled at both UMGC and the community college.

I am attending an alliance community college. Should I talk to my community college advisor or my UMGC admissions advisor for help? +

Advisors and counselors from your community college will discuss the requirements for your associate’s degree at their institution. For information about UMGC, talk to one of our admissions advisors. They will discuss the courses that transfer from community college and which courses are required for the bachelor’s degree at UMGC. UMGC representatives visit alliance community colleges on a consistent basis. Please refer to our visit schedule or contact cctransfer@umgc.edu to schedule an appointment.

If I apply for financial aid as a community college alliance student, which school issues it? +

If your community college is your home school, that institution issues your financial aid. As soon as you plan to make UMGC your home school, you should apply for financial aid through UMGC. If you still plan to take classes at your host school (community college) while enrolled at UMGC, you are welcome to complete the UMGC financial aid consortium agreement.

For more information, view UMGC's policy on attending other institutions and receiving aid.

How do I participate in a UMGC community college alliance? +

UMGC has alliance agreements with all 16 Maryland community colleges and more than 90 community and technical colleges nationwide to help streamline the transfer credit process. Get more information about our Community College Alliance Program or talk to an admissions advisor.

I would like to take classes at another institution while still enrolled at UMGC. Will my UMGC Completion Scholarship be affected? +

If you wish to take classes at an outside institution, you are required to get permission from UMGC first. Classes taken outside of UMGC can apply to your degree requirements but will not be used as part of the minimum credit requirement for the scholarship. Check with an admissions advisor if you're considering this option.

Is the UMGC Completion Scholarship available to students that attend any Maryland community college? +

Yes, UMGC has alliance partnerships with all 16 Maryland community colleges. Graduates from all Maryland community colleges are eligible for the UMGC Completion Scholarship.

If I am admitted to my community or technical college, am I automatically admitted to UMGC? +

No, you are required to complete the UMGC admission application separate from the application at your community or technical college. Once you are admitted to both UMGC and the community or technical college, you can be dually enrolled. Contact your UMGC admission counselor for assistance.

Am I required to complete my associate degree before enrolling at UMGC? +

No, but it can be to your advantage to complete your associate degree first. Graduates from a community or technical college have found the associate degree to be useful in obtaining jobs or promotions while continuing to pursue a bachelor’s degree. If you have an associate degree from a Maryland community college, you are eligible for the UMGC Completion Scholarship.

What are the benefits of transferring to UMGC from a Maryland community college? +

Transferring to UMGC from a Maryland community college can offer you several benefits, including a flexible transfer policy that accommodates community college and nontraditional credit, scholarship opportunities for part-time and full-time students, a wide variety of online bachelor’s degrees designed to smoothly connect with your associate’s degree program, and a full array of student services, including 24-hour library assistance, tutors, clubs, and honor societies, accessible online.

How many credits can I transfer to UMGC? +

UMGC accepts up to 90 credits in transfer from eligible four-year colleges and universities—including applicable military credit—and up to 70 credits from eligible two-year community colleges, as long as these credits are applied toward a bachelor's degree. If you are a student at a Maryland community college, we encourage you to complete an associate's degree at your institution and speak with a UMGC admissions advisor.

If I received disability support services at my community college, am I eligible for those services at UMGC? +

Students who currently receive disability support services from the community college are eligible for disability support services at UMGC upon transfer. You are required to prepare the necessary documentation in order to obtain these services. Learn more about these and other Student Services at UMGC.

If I enroll at UMGC, will I still be able to use financial aid for classes at my community college? +

Since UMGC is your home school, you are responsible for paying tuition at your host school, which would be your community college. If you complete a UMGC financial aid consortium agreement, your financial aid will be based on your total enrollment at both schools.

For more information, view UMGC's policy on attending other institutions and receiving aid.

How do I get started with the transfer process to UMGC? +

Learn all you need to know about transfers and credits by e-mailing cctransfer@umgc.edu. In addition, you can browse our events to learn about upcoming transfer events at regional locations or online.