Skip Navigation
Skip to Menu Toggle Button

Transfer Credit Requirements

Find out how many credits you can transfer toward a degree.

The number of credits you can transfer depends on the University of Maryland Global Campus degree you're pursuing. For prior-year transfer credit requirements, students should refer to the applicable catalog for their degree or certificate program.

Associate Degree Students

The associate degree is available to a limited audience, including military, veterans, and non-Maryland residents.

  • You can transfer up to 45 credits toward your associate's degree at UMGC.
  • We accept transfer credits based on your military education, training, and experience.

Bachelor’s Degree Students

  • You can transfer up to 70 credits from an approved two-year community college.
  • You can transfer up to 90 credits from an approved four-year college, university, or other combined sources, including credit by examination, military service, or noncollegiate training.

Transfer credits toward a bachelor's degree at UMGC must meet the following criteria:

  • No transfer credit will be awarded without official transcripts.
  • If you're requesting credit for courses from an approved two or four-year college or university, you must have earned a C or better in those courses.

Graduate Students

UMGC does not accept transfer credits toward the Doctor of Business Administration or Doctor of Management in Community College Policy and Administration.

For Most Master’s Degree and Graduate Certificate Programs

  • We may accept up to 12 credits toward your graduate degree at UMGC if your credits were earned at an approved institution and the credits are related to your program of study.
  • We may accept up to 6 graduate transfer credits toward our certificate programs.
  • We do not accept transfer credits in the Master of Business Administration.
  • Transfer credits toward your graduate degree at UMGC must meet specific criteria.

Graduate Programs That Require CBR 600, DCL 600M, or DCL 600T

  • We may accept exactly 6 semester hours of graduate transfer credit to satisfy CBR 600, DCL 600M, or DCL 600T if you are enrolled in a master’s degree program or graduate certificate program that requires one of these courses.
  • If you have previously earned a master’s degree from an approved institution, you are eligible to receive transfer credit for CBR 600, DCL 600M, or DCL 600T in recognition of the fundamental competencies essential for successful completion of a graduate degree program.  
  • If you have earned graduate credit but have not earned a master’s degree, you may request a review of transfer credit for CBR 600, DCL 600M, or DCL 600T.
  • All graduate credits offered for transfer credit in replacement of CBR 600, DCL 600M, or DCL 600T are reviewed for approval and must meet specific criteria.

Get Started

Visit the Graduate Transfer Credit Evaluation page for more information about criteria for transferring graduate credit and to submit a form to have your credit evaluated.


Estimate Undergraduate Transfer Credits

Find out if your previous courses, standardized exams, and military education and training transfer to UMGC.

Graduate Transfer Credit Evaluation

Submit a graduate transfer credit evaluation request to find out if your credits will transfer to UMGC.

Contact Us

Our helpful admissions advisors can help you choose an academic program to fit your career goals, estimate your transfer credits, and develop a plan for your education costs that fits your budget. If you’re a current UMGC student, please visit the Help Center.

Personal Information
Contact Information
Additional Information
This field is required.
This field is required.

By submitting this form, you acknowledge that you intend to sign this form electronically and that your electronic signature is the equivalent of a handwritten signature, with all the same legal and binding effect. You are giving your express written consent without obligation for UMGC to contact you regarding our educational programs and services using e-mail, phone, or text, including automated technology for calls and/or texts to the mobile number(s) provided. For more details, including how to opt out, read our privacy policy or contact an admissions advisor.

Please wait, your form is being submitted.