English Language Requirement
If you were educated in any of the following countries, you automatically meet the English language requirement for both undergraduate and graduate admission for students educated abroad.
- Antigua and Barbuda
- British Virgin Islands
- Canada (except Quebec)
- Cayman Islands
- Falkland Islands
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- St. Catalina
- St. Kitts and Nevis
- St. Lucia
- St. Vincent and the Grenadines
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Turks and Caicos Islands
- United Kingdom (Scotland, England, Wales)
- United States Virgin Islands
Undergraduate Admission Requirements for Students Educated Abroad
Documentation of Secondary Education (High School Graduation)
If you have earned fewer than 30 credits (if you applied to UMGC on or after March 30, 2020) at a U.S. college or university, you must verify your completion of the equivalent of a U.S. secondary education by doing one of the following:
- Request an evaluation from an approved international credit evaluation service
- Provide official transcripts showing completion of the U.S. General Education Development, known as the GED, exam with a passing score
English Language Proficiency
To demonstrate English language proficiency, you must provide documentation on the UMGC admission application indicating one of the following:
- You graduated from a state-approved or regionally accredited U.S. high school or from a homeschooling or alternative high school program in compliance with state and local education regulations in the state where you were homeschooled or attended an alternative high school
- You earned a passing score on a state high school equivalency exam, such as the GED
- You completed high school in a country that meets the English language requirement
- You earned at least 24 credits or an associate’s or higher degree from an accredited U.S. college or university
- You earned at least 24 credits or an associate’s or higher degree from a college or university in country that meets the English language requirement (see above for list of countries)
If you did not graduate from a high school, college, or university located in the United States or in one of the countries that meet the English language requirement, you must demonstrate written English language proficiency to be eligible for admission by submitting one of the following:
- A score of 525 or higher and a score of 4 on the Test of Written English (TWE) on the written version or 71 or higher on the online version of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); the TOEFL score recovery code for UMGC is 5804.
- A score of 6 or higher on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS); must include the academic writing and academic reading modules
- A minimum grade of Pre-1 on the Eiken English Proficiency Exam
- A score of 95 or higher on the Duolingo English Proficiency Test
If you are not able to provide any of the documentation above but feel you may meet the English language proficiency requirement, please contact Admissions Services for more information.
Please send official score reports directly from the testing agency to UMGC. All scores (TOEFL, IELTS, EIKEN, and Duolingo) must be no more than two years old.
Graduate Admission Requirements for Students Educated Abroad
Documentation of Baccalaureate Degree
You must submit official documentation indicating successful completion of the equivalent of a U.S. baccalaureate degree. If you were educated in a country other than the United States, you must have your official transcripts evaluated by an independent credit evaluation service. The evaluation company will send a copy of the evaluation to both you and UMGC. However, providing your transcript does not ensure graduate admission to UMGC.
English Language Proficiency
If you were educated outside of the United States, you need to demonstrate college-level proficiency in written English to UMGC by means of one of the following.
- The internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT) with a minimum score of 79
- The paper-based TOEFL with the Test of Written English (TWE) with a minimum score of 550 and a minimum score of 4 on the TWE
- The International English Language Testing System (IELTS)—including both the academic writing and academic reading modules—with a minimum overall score of 6.5
- The EIKEN Test in Practical English Proficiency with a minimum grade of Pre-1
- The Duolingo English Proficiency Test with a minimum score of 105
Please arrange to have official score reports sent directly from the testing agency to Student Academic Records. All scores (TOEFL, IELTS, EIKEN, and Duolingo) must be no more than two years old.
Applicants can demonstrate English proficiency by submitting an official transcript indicating completion of at least 12 credits of graduate coursework with a grade of "B" or higher at an approved degree-granting university or college. All credit is subject to review before being accepted as evidence of English proficiency.
Applicants who have received a baccalaureate degree from an approved country (listed above) automatically meet the English language requirement.
Note for F-1 Student Status
UMGC no longer issues the form I-20 A-B Certificate of Eligibility for F-1 student status. However, students may be eligible to pursue a program online from outside of the United States. If you are not a U.S. citizen, you will need to provide documentation of your visa or immigration status to determine your eligibility to enroll and your residency status for tuition purposes. Once you submit your application for admission, a request for this documentation will be sent to you. For more information, please e-mail email@example.com.