Through the undergraduate certificate program in Spanish for business and the professions at University of Maryland Global Campus, you'll benefit from a combination of language and professional study that will build a foundation to enhance your résumé and prepare you to work and communicate in a variety of Spanish-speaking environments.
This program is ideal for those who are in a professional or social setting where Spanish is often spoken.
In your online Spanish classes, you'll not only learn the language but also explore contexts and practices specific to the Spanish-speaking world. You'll use your knowledge of diverse business cultures to communicate and interact effectively in a business environment.
Note: This certificate is not intended for students who already have native or near-native ability in Spanish. Students with prior experience in the Spanish language should e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about a placement test.
These requirements are for students who enroll in the 2020–2021 academic year. For prior year academic requirements, visit our catalog archive.
About the Spanish for Business and the Professions Undergraduate Certificate
What You'll Learn
Through your coursework, you will learn how to
- Speak, read, write, and comprehend Spanish, applying the language to a variety of real-life social situations in a culturally appropriate way
- Use your knowledge of diverse business cultures to communicate and interact effectively in a business environment about topics such as management, human resources, cultural issues in the workplace, and economic conditions in various Spanish-speaking countries and/or areas of the United States
In past projects, students have had the opportunity to
- Read about and discuss aspects of the business world in the United States, Spain, and Latin America
- Create a résumé and other job search documents in Spanish
- Give a professional presentation in Spanish
- Create a marketing portfolio for a real product or service, featuring a cost/benefit analysis, a description of the clientele, a report on the history of the service or product in the market, and an advertising and marketing plan
Spanish for Business and the Professions Undergraduate Certificate Requirements
Our curriculum is designed with input from employers, industry experts, and scholars. You'll learn theories combined with real-world applications and practical skills you can apply on the job right away.
Total Credits Required: 16
- Four courses in intermediate or upper-level Spanish chosen from the following:
- SPAN 211
- SPAN 212
- Any 300- or 400-level SPAN courses taught in Spanish
- One of the following 4-credit courses in Spanish:
- SPAN 418
- SPAN 419
Note: SPAN 112 is a prerequisite course for 200-level courses that count toward the certificate, and as such, does not count toward the 16-credit total for the Spanish for Business and the Professions Undergraduate Certificate.
Overall Certificate Requirements
Review the overall undergraduate certificate requirements on the certificates overview webpage.
This program will help prepare you to work with unique client populations in virtually every industry.
Experience Recommended for Success in the Program
This program is ideal for military servicemembers as well as those who are in a professional or social setting where Spanish is often spoken.