Learn about the requirements you need to complete to earn an undergraduate certificate at UMGC.
In addition to the specific course requirements outlined on each undergraduate certificate webpage, University of Maryland Global Campus maintains certain requirements for all certificates. The requirements that apply to you are those that were in effect when you began continuous enrollment at UMGC.
These requirements are for students who enroll in the 2023–2024 academic year. For prior year academic requirements, visit our catalog archive.
Overall Certificate Requirements
- You must be admitted as a UMGC student.
- You may pursue a degree and certificate simultaneously or pursue a degree after completing the certificate.
- No more than half of the total credits for any undergraduate certificate may be earned through credit by examination, prior-learning portfolio credit, internship/Workplace Learning credit, or transfer credit from other schools, under current policies for such credit. Additional limitations may apply to specific programs. See individual certificate programs for details.
- You must complete all required coursework with a minimum grade of C (2.0) in all courses.
- Certificate courses may not be taken pass/fail.
- You may pursue up to four certificates at a time.
- Undergraduate students may only complete certificates at the undergraduate level.
Earning a Second Certificate
If you have already received a certificate from UMGC, you can broaden your education by earning a second certificate in a different discipline. The same requirements detailed above apply for all certificates.
If you have earned an undergraduate certificate from UMGC and want to pursue an additional undergraduate certificate at UMGC, you must complete at least 12 credits of new coursework to be eligible. No substitutions to the program are available. If the coursework required for one undergraduate certificate program significantly overlaps with coursework for another undergraduate certificate program, it may not be possible for you to earn both certificates. In such cases, you will need to choose an alternate program if you wish to complete another credential at UMGC.
Before beginning work toward or registering for a second certificate, consult an academic advisor. Advisors will be glad to explain the requirements and situations that require department approval.