The rapidly expanding realm of cyber security offers a wealth of career options. University of Maryland Global Campus's bachelor's degrees, master’s degrees, and certificates are designed to help you gain the technical skills, knowledge, and expertise you need to unlock your potential and specialize in the cyber security field of your choice.
Unlock Your Career Potential with an Online Cyber Security Degree
Find the Right Program for You
With our Program Comparison Tool, you can evaluate as many as three degrees, specializations, and certificates side by side. Explore program descriptions, cost, transfer credit, program formats, course content, and more. Found your program? Use our Time and Tuition Estimator to get your estimated tuition, fees, and graduation date.
Why Study Cyber Security at UMGC?
- Cyber security at the forefront: At UMGC, cyber security is the focus of our program, not an aside. We offer a broad array of cyber security bachelor's degrees, master's degrees, and certificates—in subjects ranging from digital forensics to cyber policy.
- Where the jobs are: Maryland's cyber security network includes 12 major military installations; 400 Federal, academic, and private research centers; and 50 Federal agencies.
- At the epicenter of cyber security: UMGC is headquartered between the DoD's Cyber Command in Maryland and the Cyber Corridor in Virginia.
- Cutting-edge curriculum: Our cyber security curriculum is continually updated and designed with input from leading employers and cyber security experts.
- Taught by faculty in the know: Many UMGC cyber security faculty members are experts in the field, providing you access to industry leaders.
- Global campus: UMGC was founded to meet the needs of working adults. Take courses online knowing that your education is backed by the reputation of a public state university.
- Hands-on experience: UMGC's virtual cyber security lab gives students the opportunity to attack and defend online in a safe and secure environment.
- Globally-ranked cyber security team: The UMGC Cyber Competition Team provides students with real-world experience and networking opportunities.
Cyber Security Program Designation
UMGC has been designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance and Cyber Defense Education by the National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security and as a National Center of Digital Forensics Academic Excellence by the Defense Cyber Crime Center Academic Cyber Curriculum Alliance.
The only security that we've actually achieved in cyber security is job security.
Gerald "Chip" Willard
Senior Technical Leader, National Security Agency
UMGC is wired systemically into every part of CyberMaryland…. They have really become an epicenter or a proxy to connect students to the organizations, Annapolis, and, ultimately, the end jobs that they’re taking as a result of their education with UMGC.
After a brief stint as a technical recruiter for cyber security positions, I thought to myself, 'I could do this.' UMGC had recently started the cyber security master's program, and I figured it would be a great opportunity for me to get into the field.
Applications Engineer, Ultra Electronics
Business Administration Bachelor's Degree
Cybersecurity Technology Master's Degree
Not only am I in a very hot field, I'm also in a good company where I feel secure, and I like what I'm doing a lot. And I feel like I'm [adding] value not just to myself but to the country and to the government…. I'm heading in the right direction for my career.
Cybersecurity Consultant, Deloitte
Master of Business Administration
Cybersecurity Management and Policy Master's Degree
Thanks to UMGC's Cybersecurity program, Kwasi Robinson and his team took first place at the MDC Three Cyber Challenge. Winning the Capture the Flag competition proved the strength of UMGC's curriculum in real world scenarios.
Maryland has a phenomenal ecosystem. With our unique cluster of cyber-related government, academic, and business entities, we have the building blocks to be a dominant player in the cyber security industry.
Cyber Development Director, Maryland Department of Business and Economic Development
In Washington, D.C., especially, I think the unemployment rate for cyber security specialists is less than zero. They’re in great demand. And that’s true not just for government but for industry as well.
Former Vice President of U.S. Public Sector Cybersecurity Practice, HP Enterprise Services
Award-Winning Students & Program Achievements
- 2nd and 3rd Place | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | Zero Day Con CTF | 2019
- 1st Place | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | Montgomery College CTF 4 Year Division | 2019
- 3rd place | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | MAGIC, Inc. CTF | 2019
- Best Cybersecurity Higher Education Program | University of Maryland Global Campus | SC Magazine | 2019
- 1st place | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | SecureSet DC War Games | 2018
- Academia Circle of Excellence Award | University of Maryland Global Campus | EC-Council | 2018
- 1st place | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | Parsons Cyber CTF | 2018
- 3rd Place | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | Parsons Corp. Capture the Flag Competition | 2018
- Best Information Governance Service Provider 2018 | University of Maryland Global Campus | InfoGov18 | 2018
- 1st place | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | MAGIC, Inc. CTF | 2018
- 2nd place | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | MAGIC, Inc. CTF | 2018
- 3rd place Bronze Bracket | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | National Cyber League | 2018
- Best Cybersecurity Higher Education Program | University of Maryland Global Campus | SC Magazine | 2018
- 1st Place | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | Parsons Cyber CTF | 2018
- Silver Award | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | National Cyber Analyst Challenge | 2018
- Military Times No. 4 Best Cybersecurity Program for 2018 | Military Times | 2018
- 3rd place | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | MAGIC, Inc. CTF | 2017
- Academia Circle of Excellence Award | EC-Council | 2017
- 3rd place | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | Parsons Cyber CTF | 2017
- 2nd place | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | HackEd Halloween Hackathon | 2017
- Judges Choice Award | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | Eastern Regional CPTC | 2017
- 3rd place | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | Parsons Cyber CTF | 2017
- 2017 Americas Information Security Leadership Award | (ISC)² | 2017
- 2nd place | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | White Hat Academy CTF | 2017
- 2nd and 3rd place | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | White Hat Academy CTF | 2017
- 1st Place | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | Symantec CTF at B-Sides DC | 2016
- Silver Award | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | National Cyber Analyst Challenge | 2016
- UPCEA Mid-Atlantic Region Outstanding Program Award | UMGC Master of Science in Data Analytics program | University Professional and Continuing Education Association, Mid-Atlantic Region | 2016
- National Center of Digital Forensics Academic Excellence | U.S. Department of Defense Cyber Crime Center | 2015
- 1st place | UMGC Cyber Competition team | Cyber DiploHack | 2015
- National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance and Cyber Defense Education | National Security Agency and Department of Homeland Security | 2015
- 1st place | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | Global Cyberlympics | 2014
- 1st place | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | North American Cyberlympics | 2014
- 1st place | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | Maryland Cyber Challenge | 2014
- 1st place, Worldwide Overall Undergraduate Division | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | Department of Defense Cyber Crime Center Digital Forensics Challenge | 2013
- 1st place, Collegiate and Pro Divisions | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | Maryland Cyber Challenge | 2013
- 2nd place | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | Global Cyberlympics | 2012
- 1st place | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | North American Cyberlympics | 2012
- 1st place | UMGC Cyber Competition Team | Maryland Digital Forensics Investigation Challenge | 2012
Center for Security Studies
The Center for Security Studies at UMGC provides educational resources, networking, and career training opportunities for working professionals pursuing cyber security education. Learn more about the Center for Security Studies by visiting the Administration section.
About Cyber Security at UMGC
Meet successful students and alumni in UMGC's cyber security programs who are gaining the skills they need to succeed.
Find out how you could be part of the globally recognized UMGC Cyber Competition Team.
Meet cyber security faculty members, who bring real-world experience and a career-relevant curriculum to the classroom.
Cyber Security Quick Facts
Source: Ponemon Institute and IBM | "2017 Cost of Data Breach Study: Global Overview" | 2017
Source: Burning Glass International | Job Market Intelligence: Cyber Security Jobs 2015 | 2015
Source: CyberSeek | "Cybersecurity Supply/Demand Heat Map" | 2019