Learn how you can serve. Study law enforcement, public safety, legal studies, and homeland security.
With industry leadership and close proximity to many Federal agencies, University of Maryland Global Campus offers public safety programs to boost students who take pride in protecting and serving. Hone your management and leadership skills while you build a strong foundation in public service fields such as criminal justice, homeland security, investigative forensics, and legal studies. Then, take advantage of our lifetime career services and resources, including information on Federal job hunting and the job application process.
- Undergraduate Certificate
- Graduate Certificates
Why Study Public Safety at UMGC?
A public safety degree from UMGC can prepare you to respond to a wide range of public safety threats at the Federal, state, or local level. And public safety is a natural fit for students who have experience in the military.
- Gain a distinctive edge: Build a strong foundation of knowledge about the justice system while developing your skills in leadership, management, and cross-agency collaboration.
- Learn from industry leaders: Our faculty hold key positions in the military, judicial system, and police and fire departments. Our instructors work in Federal agencies including the FBI, FEMA, NSA, Secret Service, Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, and the State Department.
- Explore your options: UMGC's public safety programs include criminal justice, homeland security, investigative forensics, legal studies, and public safety administration. No matter how you want to serve, we have you covered.
- Earn a respected degree: UMGC was founded more than 75 years ago to meet the needs of working adults. We pair the flexibility of online learning with the reputation of a public state university.
- Prepare to protect and serve: Employers are seeking to fill positions vital to government, military, and corporate security throughout the country and the world.
Featured Public Safety Programs
Melanie B., BS in Public Safety Administration
UMGC offers bachelor's degrees in criminal justice, homeland security, legal studies, and public safety administration. Our master's degrees in public safety include the following programs:
- MS in Biotechnology: Biosecurity and Biodefense
- MS in Digital Forensics and Cyber Investigation
- MS in IT: Homeland Security Management
- MS in Management: Criminal Justice Management
- MS in Management: Emergency Management
- MS in Management: Homeland Security Management
- MS in Management: Intelligence Management
UMGC also offers undergraduate certificates and graduate certificates in public safety.
A certification typically refers to an industry credential that is not awarded by a college or university but instead by an industry group. While UMGC does not offer certifications directly, the following UMGC programs can help you prepare for industry certification exams: