Total Credits Required: 60
- HIST 202
- HIST 381
- HIST 462
- HIST 464
- HIST 465
- Elective courses (10 credits): Courses that may be applicable to the BA in history recommended you began continuous enrollment at UMGC. Please contact an advisor if you have any questions about these requirements.
These requirements are for students who enroll in the 2021–2022 academic year. For prior year academic requirements, visit our catalog archive.
Overall Bachelor's Degree Requirements
- You must be admitted as an undergraduate UMGC student.
- You must complete a minimum of 120 credits.
- You must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0 overall and a minimum grade of C for any class applied to the major.
- At least 36 credits must be upper-level and include at least one-half of the credits required for the major. The remaining upper-level credits may be earned in any part of the curriculum.
- At least half the required number of credits for any major must be earned through graded coursework. Credits earned by examination, portfolio assessment, and noncollegiate training do not count as graded coursework.
- Within the 120 credits required, the following coursework must be taken through UMGC:
- 30 credits (normally the final 30)
- Half of the required number of credits within the major
- 15 credits at the upper level (earned in classes numbered 300 to 499), preferably within the major
The number of credits required to complete an academic major varies according to academic program. Specific coursework is outlined on each bachelor's degree webpage.
Choosing a minor is optional but strongly encouraged.
- You may not take a major and minor in the same area and may not receive a dual minor.
- The number of credits required to complete an academic minor varies by program.
- At least half the credits earned within the minor must be upper-level (unless otherwise specified) and must be earned through UMGC.
- You must earn a minimum grade of C for any class applied to the minor.
- Specific coursework for each minor is outlined on the bachelor's degree webpage.
Electives may be taken in any academic discipline. Pass/fail credit, up to a maximum of 18 credits, may be applied toward electives only.
How to Double Major
You can earn a double major upon completion of all requirements for both majors, including the required minimum number of credits for each major and all related requirements for both majors. The same course cannot be used to fulfill requirements for more than one major. Certain restrictions (including use of credit and acceptable combinations of majors) apply for double majors. You cannot major in two programs with excessive overlap of required coursework. Contact an advisor before selecting a double major.
How to Earn a Second Bachelor's Degree
If you've earned a UMGC bachelor's degree, you can earn a second bachelor's degree in as few as 30 credits.
General Education Requirements
UMGC associate's degree general education requirements correspond to those for the bachelor's degree, with a few exceptions to meet the 35-credit requirement. Learn more by visiting the General Education Requirements webpage and reading the section specifically for associate's degrees.