Skip Navigation
Skip to Menu Toggle Button
Policy VIII-2.02

UMGC Students Who Wish to Attend Classes at Other Institutions, Including USM, and Receive UMGC Aid

Policy CategoryPolicy OwnersVersion Effective DateReview CyclePolicy Contact
VIII. Fiscal and Business AffairsSVP & CAO
Jan. 10, 2023Every 5 yearsQuestions and required documents can be submitted via the UMGC Help Center
  1. Introduction
    1. This policy applies to all undergraduate and graduate financial aid students attending the University of Maryland Global Campus (“UMGC”) who want to attend another institution within the same period of enrollment. Students attending UMGC and another institution may receive federal financial aid from UMGC based on enrollment at both institutions if they adhere to this Policy. UMGC will administer the federal aid based on the combined enrollment at both institutions.
  2. Purpose and Student Procedures
    1. To determine aid eligibility and to process aid for courses taken by a UMGC student at another institution, all courses taken at the other institutions must be pre-approved by UMGC for transfer into the student's UMGC degree program. Students must obtain all of the following from the respective offices:
      1. A Permission to Enroll (PTE) form from UMGC's Degree Audit Office that identifies the course(s) in which the student will enroll and which pre-approves those courses for transfer to UMGC for application to the student's UMGC degree program. Both undergraduate and graduate students must contact their academic advisor to begin the process.
      2. A UMGC financial aid consortium agreement, which is to be completed and signed by the Financial Aid Offices at both institutions.
      3. Proof of registration that displays the school name, course(s), number of credits for each course and the start and end date of each course at the other institution.
    2. Financial Aid funds will be disbursed by UMGC to the student's account at UMGC. Any aid disbursed which exceeds UMGC charges will be refunded to the student. The student may use those funds, which are refunded to pay his/her charges at the other institution, or apply those funds to his/her other educational expenses.
    3. Students must notify UMGC's Financial Aid Office within 5 working days of any enrollment change, including course withdrawal at the other institution.
    4. Students must submit an official transcript from the other institution with the grade(s) for the course(s) after completion of the course(s) to UMGC's Student Affairs Office and to the UMGC Financial Aid Office.
    5. Questions and required documents can be submitted via the UMGC Help Center.

*Formerly Policy 220.50