Learn how tuition assistance from your employer might help you pay for college.
Many employers, including the military and federal government, provide tuition assistance to their employees. If you're part of a tuition assistance program, please complete the following two steps to submit your tuition assistance information to University of Maryland Global Campus:
If you're looking for information specifically about military tuition assistance, please visit our Tuition Assistance for Military Personnel page.
How to Apply
Step 1: Complete a Tuition Assistance Form
This document can be a purchase order, standard form from your employer or tuition assistance contract on company letterhead. (A tuition assistance contract will not be accepted if it restricts payment or is in any way conditional.)
Your tuition assistance form must contain the following information:
- A specific description of fees, charges, and the amount to be assumed by your employer, such as tuition, technology fee, application fee, schedule-adjustment fee, or late registration fee; no credit will be granted for any fees unless specified
- Your name and UMGC identification number or the last four digits of your Social Security number
- The semester or term covered by the document
- The billing address
- The signature and contact information of the authorizing official
Step 2: Submit Your Tuition Assistance Form
You'll submit your tuition assistance form when you register using one of the following methods.
- Web form (preferred):
- Visit the Help Center.
- Click "Continue" under the "Open Case/Submit Documents" header.
- For Case Type, select "Billing/Payments."
- Under Assistance Category, select "Tuition Assistance."
- Complete the remainder of the form and attach your tuition assistance form; by providing us with the required information in this form, you'll help us expedite the processing time of your authorization.
- If fax is the only way you can submit your tuition assistance form, please fax it to 301-985-7858.
- The Office of Student Accounts will open up a “third party” account and post a deferment credit on your account for the tuition and fees that your employer/agency is willing to pay.
- UMGC will send an invoice to your employer/agency after 30 days after the start date of your class(es). Each course could be billed separately.
- UMGC will apply payment to the invoice sent for your classes. If your agency does not pay the invoice, deferment will be cancelled from your account. At this point, the balance will become your responsibility.
- Please allow two business days for your student account to be updated.
- Once your tuition assistance form is posted to your student account, the amount assumed by your employer or sponsor is deferred to the agency account. No exchange of money has taken place at this time. UMGC reserves the right to reinstate all unpaid tuition assistance invoices back to the student account. You, the student, are ultimately responsible for all charges posted to your account.
- Tuition assistance forms that are not received within the allotted semester (fall, spring, or summer) will not be posted. Exceptions will be made for deployed soldiers on a case-by-case basis.