Oracle SQL Developer (a.k.a. the Oracle client) is a free, integrated development environment that simplifies the development and management of Oracle Database. SQL Developer offers complete end-to-end development of your PL/SQL applications, a worksheet for running queries and scripts, a DBA console for managing the database, a reports interface, a complete data modeling solution, and a migration platform for moving your 3rd party databases to Oracle. Ref: Oracle
The following are the instructions to configure SQL*Net to connect to Oracle databases for some classes that can use Oracle SQL Developer or other database client programs. It’s assumed Oracle client has been already installed on the computer.
You can download SQL Developer from Oracle:
*Please note that IT Support is not responsible for SQL Developer installation and configuration on personal computers.
Oracle client has been already installed on the computer.
1. Navigate to the Oracle Client home; locate the directory <ORACLE_HOME>\network\admin.
2. Locate file sqlnet.ora file.
3. Open a text editor (e.g. notepad) and edit sqlnet.ora
4. Remove the line “SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)” and save the file.
5. Locate file tnsnames.ora file.
6. Use a text editor (e.g. notepad) to edit the file tnsnames.ora. If the file does not exist, create one.
7. Add the corresponding entries into tnsnames.ora for your class and save the file:
See below for more details:
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = nova.umg
(SERVER = DEDICATED)