It is that time of year again, the Presidential Management Fellows (PMF) Program application window will be open from September 13–27, 2022, (opening and closing at Noon Eastern).
PMF is the Federal Government’s premiere leadership development program for advanced degree holders across all academic disciplines. It is a two-year fellowship, full time with salary and benefits leading to a career in Federal Service. The initial appointment is at the GS-9/11/12 (or equivalent), with promotion potential to the GS-13.
Who is eligible to apply?
Current and recent graduates with Advanced Degrees (e.g., Master’s, Professional, or Doctorate) from accredited institutions worldwide can apply. If you have completed or expect to complete an advanced degree between 09/13/2020 – 08/31/2023 you are eligible. U.S. Citizens, those legally able to work in the U.S., and Current Federal employees may apply provided they meet the eligibility criteria.
What is needed for your application?
Application takes place annually in the fall for a two-week period:
- The PMF Class of 2023 Application will be held Tuesday, September 13 through Tuesday, September 27, 2022
- Announcement is posted on www.USAJOBS.gov on opening day
- Applicants apply on the Apply Site of the PMF Talent Management System (TMS)
Applicants apply online by providing:
- Resume: this document can be in any format if it includes all the required elements
- Transcript (and/or alternative): this document is meant to provide proof that the applicant either has earned or is going to earn an advanced degree within the appointment eligibility timeframe
- Supporting documentation for any claims to veterans’ preference and/or reasonable accommodations for the assessment process
- An Online Assessment
Where do fellows work?
Over the past ten years, Fellows have been placed in the following departments:
- Over 580 at the Department of Health and Human Services (including CDC, NIH, CMS, and others)
- Over 350 at the Department of State
- Over 240 at the Department of Agriculture
- Over 150 at the U.S. Agency for International Development
- Over 150 at the Department of the Treasury
- Many others at the Department of Education, Department of Justice, Environmental Protection Agency, and more
Since 2020, UMGC had 8 students selected as Finalists from the following Academic Majors: Business Management and Administration, Cybersecurity, Emergency Management and Healthcare Administration.
UMGC finalists have been placed at Homeland Security (U.S. Secret Service), CDC (Department of Health and Human Services), & DHHS (Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services).
What steps can you take to be successful?
- Add the PMF application dates to your calendar/planner
- Subscribe to the PMF listserv to stay in the loop
- Visit the main website: https://www.pmf.gov, to learn more about the program, review the handbook, sign up for their webinars, and consider reaching out to past finalists through the PMF Ambassadors program
- Prepare for the online assessment
- Gather your application materials early
- Update your resume, use the resume tools, and add the core competencies to your resume
- Use UMGC’s Career Services platform for additional tools, CareerQuest
Isa’ Martinez is a Former Career Advising Specialist in the Office of Career Services at the University of Maryland Global Campus. She has over ten years of experience in Higher Education in enrollment services, student and faculty support and career development. She has a Master of Arts degree in Counseling Psychology from Bowie State University, where she practiced counseling for a year and discovered her passion for career counseling. Isa’ is committed to putting students first, educating students on career services and believes in the power of an education.