Advocacy skills are needed in many areas of our lives, including school, work and home. Becoming an effective self-advocate means having the ability to effectively communicate your needs to others.
Here are a few tips to assist you in reaching the goals you have set to accomplish at University of Maryland Global Campus.
- Know your rights so that you may ask for what is available to you.
- Know your strengths and challenges and how they affect you.
- Plan ahead to make your semester a success.
- Work to find solutions to overcome barriers to reaching your goals.
- Identify your needs, and come up with a plan to support those needs.
- Identify your support system.
- Get to know the instructors and administrators in your program.
- Know how to communicate about your disability and how it impacts your academic performance.
- Know how to ask for help and seek out resources when difficulties arise.
- Recognize that long-term goals are reached by meeting many short-term goals.
- Recognize and celebrate your successes.