During the course of your academic career at University of Maryland Global Campus, you may want to take a course(s) at another institution and transfer the course(s) back to your degree program at UMGC. This can be accomplished through a Consortium Agreement and you may be eligible to receive financial aid.

A consortium agreement is an agreement between two colleges/universities to recognize your registration at each location for financial aid purposes. It also certifies only one of the two institutions can administer Title IV and State financial aid.

This Consortium Agreement refers to the two colleges/universities as the "Home Institution" and the "Host Institution:"

The Home Institution is the school where the student is fully matriculated and from which he/she will earn a degree.

The Host Institution is where the student temporarily takes courses, whose credits will be transferred back to his/her "Home Campus."


There are specific guidelines you must meet to complete this process.

  1. You must be a degree-seeking student at UMGC.

  2. You must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and add the UMGC School code 011644.

  3. You will need to complete a Permission to Enroll at Another Institution (PTE) form to take course(s) at the Host Institution. A PTE is required for each course you wish to transfer to UMGC. A new PTE form must be completed for each semester that you would like to take courses at another institution. Both undergraduate and graduate students must contact their academic advisor to begin the process.

  4. You are required to submit an official transcript to your academic advisor confirming completion of courses for the term attended within 30 days of your last date of enrollment at your host school.

  5. You must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress.

  6. You must complete Section I of the Consortium Agreement form and forward the form to the Host institution's Financial Aid Office for completion of Section II. 

  7. You should follow up with your academic advisor and the Host institution to make sure that the PTE and the Consortium Agreement form were forwarded to the UMGC Financial Aid Office.

  8. Once the Financial Aid Office receives all required documents, your aid will be evaluated.

Read UMGC's Consortium Agreement form for further information.