Policy on Tuition Remission and Tuition Reimbursement for Active Staff and Faculty Employees and Retirees
Purpose and Applicability
- The University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) and the University System of Maryland (USM) support the continuing education of certain active and retired employees by providing tuition remission and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees and retirees. This policy applies to all employees on Regular Status; Collegiate Faculty members as defined in UMGC 181.00 – Faculty Appointment, Rank, and Promotion Policy and Collegiate Traveling Faculty members; and Contingent II or III employees, who work in positions that have been approved through the budgetary and pertinent appointment classification processes and who have contracts that are intended to last six months or more regardless of the nature of the source of funds; or former employees who have retired from such positions. Nonexempt Staff employees who are included in the representation of the collective bargaining unit are subject to the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and applicable UMGC HR Policies; where there is a conflict between the two, the MOU will prevail.
- Administration of Tuition Remission and Tuition Reimbursement
- UMGC adopts and incorporates USM BOR VII-4.10 – Policy on Tuition Remission and Tuition Reimbursement for Regular and Retired Nonexempt and Exempt Staff and Faculty Employees of the University System of Maryland.
- Contingent Category II employees may only participate in tuition remission benefits at UMGC and University of Maryland, College Park.
- The President may authorize 1) additional tuition remission benefits for UMGC programs and/or courses; and 2) tuition reimbursement benefits for courses taken at another USM institution.
The UMGC President has designated the Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO) to administer this policy; to develop procedures as necessary to implement this policy; to communicate this policy to the UMGC community; and to post the policy and any applicable procedures on the UMGC website.
USM BOR VII-4.10 – Policy on Tuition Remission and Tuition Reimbursement for Regular and Retired Nonexempt and Exempt Staff and Faculty Employees of the University System of Maryland