Procedures for UMGC Policy on Telework for Exempt and Nonexempt Staff and Faculty Employees
Ongoing Telework Request Process
Employees hired to work from a UMGC Workplace who wish to participate in Ongoing Telework must follow the telework request process as follows:
- Employees hired to work from a UMGC Workplace and who desire to telework on an ongoing basis must complete a Telework Request Form to his/her supervisor for review. Submission of the Telework Request Form does not imply or guarantee approval.
- Once the employee submits the completed Telework Request Form, his/her direct supervisor will either approve or deny the request within ten (10) business days.
- After the supervisor has approved or denied the employee's request, the supervisor will submit the Telework Request Form to the Office of Human Resources to be filed in the employee's personnel file.
Ongoing Telework Eligibility Criteria
A supervisor in determining whether an employee is suitable for ongoing teleworking shall utilize the following criteria, notwithstanding other considerations based upon the circumstance(s):
- The position has tasks that are portable and can be performed remotely. Such tasks may include, but are not limited to data analysis, reviewing grants/contracts, writing decisions/reports, setting up conferences, data entry, word processing, or phone-intensive tasks.
- The employee shall be in good standing at the time that the telework request is submitted. "Good standing" for purposes of this policy means that the employee is meeting or exceeding performance expectations, is not currently on a performance improvement plan, and/or has not received any written discipline in the preceding six (6) months.
- The employee does not require close supervision, and does not have required and/or regular face-to-face interaction with co-workers and/or the public in the performance of his/her position duties. If face-to-face interaction is required, the supervisor/manager shall outline how the employee can otherwise meet the requirements.
- The employee possesses knowledge of the duties to be performed remotely and the necessary skill to perform the duties remotely.
- The employee has a designated office space at the Telework Location.
- Position duties and responsibilities have tasks that can be monitored and assessed for quantity and quality, as applicable; the quantity and quality of the work performed shall be assessed according to the same standard utilized for similar/equivalent work performed by non-telework employees, when applicable. In the case of or non-quantifiable or project-oriented tasks, monitoring and assessment of tasks can occur through establishing the nature and objective(s) of the tasks; establishing a deadline(s) or due date(s); and setting a progress or status report/meeting date(s).