UMGC Policy on Administrative Time Off
(Approved by USM BOR on April 21, 2017; Approved by UMGC President on July 1, 2017; Updated April 1, 2019)
Purpose and Applicability
This policy establishes a leave category for Administrative Time Off for all University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) Nonexempt, Exempt and Overseas Staff employees on Regular and Contingent II and III Status to permit an employee, under certain circumstances, to be absent from duty without loss of any pay or without charge to the employee's accrued leave. Nonexempt Staff employees who are included in the representation of the collective bargaining unit are subject to the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and the applicable UMGC HR policies; where there is a conflict between the two, the MOU will prevail.
- Emergency Conditions
- Administrative Time Off may be granted when emergency conditions exist.
- For Stateside Staff employees, see VII-6.14-GC – UMGC Policy on Inclement Weather and Emergency Conditions for Staff and Faculty Employees.
- For Overseas Staff employees, in the event of an emergency condition, as defined by the applicable procedures, Overseas Staff employees shall use Administrative Time Off in accordance with the applicable procedures.
Attendance at Employee Organization Events
Any employee organization which is permitted to collect dues by payroll deduction may request that its member employees be released from their normal duties for the purpose of participating in approved organization activities.
Administrative Time Off for Other Purposes
The President or designee may approve a request for Administrative Time Off or may require an employee to take Administrative Time Off for any purpose considered to be in the best interests of UMGC in accordance with the applicable procedures.
The CHRO or designee shall notify the UMGC Payroll Office upon approval of Administrative Time Off for the employee.
The UMGC President has designated the Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO) to administer this policy; to develop procedures as necessary to implement this policy; to communicate this policy to the UMGC community; and to post the policy and applicable procedures on the UMGC website.
- USM BOR VII-7.20: Policy on Administrative Leave for Nonexempt and Exempt Staff Employees
- UMGC OS 13.00: Policy on Emergency Conditions
- UMGC OS 22.00: Policy on Administrative Leave