Process for Selection and Timeline for Honorary Degrees
Originator: Office of the President
Subject: Process for Selection and Timeline for Honorary Degrees, Administrator Emeritus Status, the President's Medal, and the Selection of Commencement Speakers
- The Office of Communications (OC), which includes Commencement Services (CS), in consultation with the Chief Academic Officer (CAO), will serve as the responsible office for preparing an appropriate and timely slate of nominations to recommend for receipt of honorary degrees presented at stateside commencement ceremonies. Global Military Operations (GMO), in consultation with the Chief Academic Officer (CAO), will serve as the responsible office for preparing an appropriate and timely slate of nominations to recommend for receipt of honorary degrees presented at overseas commencement ceremonies.
- OC and GMO will solicit and review nominations and present a final list of recommendations to the President according to the following schedule:
- September 15—CS announces worldwide "Call for Nominations" for candidates for honorary degrees for all University ceremonies worldwide.
- October 15—Deadline for nominations of honorary degree recipients. CS and GMO review nominations, screen and determine appropriateness for an honorary degree.
- November 1—CS and GMO forward nomination recommendations to President.
- December 15—The President submits the list of recommended candidates (and supporting documentation) for honorary degrees to the Chancellor of the University System of Maryland (USM), who will forward them to the Board of Regents. The written recommendation to the USM will include the following information for each proposed honorary degree recipient:
- type of honorary degree to be awarded (Doctor of Humane Letters, Doctor of Laws, Doctor of Public Service, Doctor of Sciences);
- biographical sketch of the recipient;
- justification for the awarding of the degree; and
- probable date of award.
- February—The Board of Regents votes on the nominations for honorary degrees. The Chancellor informs the President of the Board's decisions.
- June—CS and GMO update the roster of University honorary degree recipients, if applicable.
|Current Policy||Prior Policy|