Library Circulation Policy
Originator: Associate Vice Provost, UMGC Library
Subject: Library Circulation Policy
The UMGC Library's physical collection is comprised of books, periodicals, DVDs, CD-ROMs, and VHS videotapes. Development of the circulating portion of the collection is concentrated on higher education, online education, technology, and instructional and adult/continuing education issues. The Library also facilitates the circulation of materials owned by University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institution (USMAI) libraries to UMGC students, faculty and staff.
- Circulation Policies
- The UMGC Library ships UMGC-owned and USMAI materials to current UMGC students, faculty, and staff living within the continental United States through campus mail or the Library’s Book Borrowing and Delivery Service. This service delivers materials directly to an individual’s home or place of work.
- UMGC-owned and USMAI materials may also be circulated to UMGC students, faculty and staff from any of the fifteen (15) other USMAI Libraries.
- UMGC-owned materials may circulate to UMGC and USMAI alumni from only the Academic Services Building in Largo, MD. Alumni should make an arrangement with Library personnel prior to arrival by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Current UMGC faculty not residing within the continental United States may also request UMGC and USMAI materials via the Book Borrowing and Delivery Service. These materials must be shipped to an APO/FPO address.
- The following categories of individuals are eligible to borrow circulating materials from the UMGC Library’s collection:
- Current UMGC students, faculty, and staff who reside in the continental United States.
- Current UMGC faculty who reside in Alaska or Hawaii.
- Current UMGC faculty living abroad.
- UMGC faculty emeriti.
- Current USMAI students, faculty and staff.
- UMGC and USMAI alumni.
- Loan Periods
- Loan periods for materials owned by our USMAI partners are set by the owning institution.
- Loan periods for UMGC-owned materials by patron category:
User/Borrower Loan Period
UMGC undergrad and grad students
UMGC faculty, faculty emeriti, and staff
UMGC special borrowers
USMAI, non-UMGC students
USMAI, non-UMGC faculty
USMAI, non-UMGC staff
USMAI, non-UMGC alumni
- Non-circulating Materials: The UMGC Library's USMAI partners set circulation policies for their collections. The following UMGC materials do not circulate:
- Reference collection items.
- Videotapes (Circulation to UMGC faculty is allowed and in other case-by-case bases).
- CD-ROMs and DVDs (if part of a package set with a book, it may circulate).
- Holds/Requests: UMGC students, faculty and staff may place holds (also known as requests) on any circulating item in the USMAI library catalog, including those belonging to UMGC. UMGC or any USMAI library may be selected as a pickup location (see II,. A & B).
- Renewing: UMGC materials and USMAI materials may be renewed. For materials belonging to our USMAI partners, renewal periods are set by the owning institution. UMGC materials may be renewed three (3) times for the same amount of time as the original loan period (see II. G). Any USMAI or UMGC material may be renewed as long as the material has not: 1) been recalled (requested by another patron), 2) been declared lost, or 3) reached its renewal limit. Overdue materials owned by UMGC may be renewed as long as a request (hold) or recall (see II. I & K) has not been placed by another patron.
- Recalls: All UMGC and USMAI materials are subject to recall when another patron places a hold (request) on the material(s). The original patron will then have fourteen (14) days from the date of notice to return the recalled items regardless of the original due date. Recalled items cannot be renewed . Failing to return a recalled item after the fourteen (14) day period will result in the item being declared lost. Some or all UMGC Library privileges may be revoked at this time. Lost book charges may also be incurred, as well as late fees, depending on the institution from which the material was lent.
- Returns: Any UMGC and USMAI materials may be returned to the UMGC Academic Center at Largo drop box, any USMAI library, or by USPS Mail. All materials should be returned on time to avoid incurring fines from lending institutions. For materials shipped to a patron via the Book Borrowing and Delivery Service, use the return label included in the initial shipment. Patrons should use these labels to avoid incurring shipping costs.
- Fines: UMGC cannot regulate fines imposed by our USMAI partners. No daily late fines are assessed for UMGC materials. However, if an item is not returned or renewed once the due date has passed, the item will be declared lost and the patron will be subject to a $60.00, non-refundable replacement fee. Some or all library privileges may be revoked if an item is not returned or a lost book fine is not paid.
|Current Policy||Prior Policy|