Reposition your military leadership skills and gain new competencies to transition to civilian organizations.
The Master of Science in transformational leadership program is designed for students with military experience who want to build on and maximize their leadership training and skills to transition to corporate, nonprofit, or government organizations. Each course offers you practical experience by using workplace scenarios to apply your strategic-thinking and decision-making skills in both group and individual activities with civilian organizations. You "learn by doing" and graduate better prepared for workplace opportunities. The program provides hands-on experience with transformational leadership strategies and techniques that will enable you to effect change at the individual, group, and organizational levels and prepare you for positions in civilian organizations. You'll utilize theories and concepts in leadership in a civilian context, focusing on the dynamics of leadership and building skills in communication, strategic planning and management, team building, conflict resolution and mediation, fiscal and performance-based decision making, change management, project management, and organizational learning.
These program requirements are for students who enroll in the 2019–2020 academic year. For prior year academic requirements, visit the catalog archive in the Current Students section.
About the Transformational Leadership Master's Degree
Coursework in the Master of Science in transformational leadership curriculum is designed to enhance the knowledge you have already gained through your military experience by examining the organization first from the inside, then looking outward at the environment it navigates. Ultimately, you'll work on a project with a civilian organization.
What You'll Learn
Through your coursework, you will learn how to
- Analyze your strengths and weaknesses as a leader and leverage them to accomplish strategic goals
- Manage civilian employees and help them perform at higher levels
- Analyze the performance of an organization through metrics and formulate strategies to improve that performance
- Manage change in the organization’s environment
In past projects, students have had the opportunity to
- Assess and evaluate their leadership skills using a leadership instrument created by experts in the field
- Create an individual development plan to leverage strengths and address skills that could benefit from development
- Develop performance and productivity metrics for individual employees and project teams
- Assess employee engagement and satisfaction and strategies for setting goals for individuals, departments, and the organization as a whole
- Evaluate workforce readiness to meet the immediate and long-term goals of an organization
- Create employee development plans that outline strategies tailored to individual employees based on their employee profile and in support of the organization’s succession strategies and workforce plan
- Analyze trends and specific data points to support decision-making within an organization
- Develop a performance predictive indicators report that provides guideposts for the organization’s strategic planning
Transformational Leadership Master's Degree Requirements
Our curriculum is designed with input from employers, industry experts, and scholars. You'll learn theories combined with real-world applications and practical skills you can apply on the job right away.
- DCL 600
- TLP 610
- TLP 620
- TLP 630
- TLP 640
- TLP 670
All courses must be taken in the order listed.
You must complete each course with a grade of B or better to advance to the next course. The grade of C is not available for these courses.
Your course syllabus will explain options and guidelines for requesting an Incomplete.
- You must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher at all times.
- All degree requirements must be fulfilled within five consecutive years.
- Any transfer credits must have been earned within the five-year time frame to be applied toward a graduate degree.
This program is designed to help prepare you for senior leadership positions in public, private, and nonprofit organizations in various fields.
Experience Recommended for Success in the Program
You are expected to have some leadership experience as an officer (noncommissioned or commissioned).
We recommend ASC 601 if you'd like to improve your writing skills.
Program Admission Requirements
To be admitted to the program, you must meet the standard criteria for graduate admission and belong to one of the following military populations:
- Full-time active-duty servicemembers
- Members of the National Guard
- Commissioned Corps members of the U.S. Public Health Service
- Commissioned Corps members of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
You are responsible for providing the documentation necessary to verify your military status.
About the Faculty
FAQs: Master of Science in Transformational Leadership
How does the Master of Science in transformational leadership compare to our Master of Business Administration? +
Our Master of Business Administration is designed to provide high-level competencies in business functions, such as accounting, finance, marketing, and management to help prepare students to succeed in private organizations. The Master of Science in transformational leadership focuses on augmenting leadership competencies that students developed in the military and applying them to leadership positions in civilian work sectors.
I am not a military servicemember or veteran. Can I sign up for the Master of Science in transformational leadership? +
Admission to this program is restricted to military servicemembers and veterans.
If you are a civilian without military experience and are interested in developing your leadership and strategic skills, you are encouraged to pursue a Master of Business Administration or Master of Science in management.
How does the Master of Science in transformational leadership compare in terms of length and cost? +
The program consists of six 6-credit courses, for a total of 36 credits, and can be completed in 18 months. There is a special tuition rate of $350 per credit hour for active-duty military servicemembers. Anyone else pays the standard graduate rate that applies to them.
We will accept up to 12 credits from selected professional military education institutions. In order to receive the credit, students must submit an official transcript from the institution. We will provide you with a list of specific programs that students can use to apply transfer credit to the Master of Science in transformational leadership.
Transfer credits are not required to join this program.