Prepare to become a leader in the workforce. The graduate certificate program in leadership and management at University of Maryland Global Campus is designed to provide you with the skills and leadership ability to navigate a variety of workplaces. You'll gain a foundation in organizational and management theory as well as skills in decision making, communication, strategic planning, and coaching and managing others.
The curriculum has been developed in conjunction with top employers. Topics such as organizational development and the management of change, leadership in diverse environments, employee relations, staffing, and human resource development will help you graduate with leadership skills you can apply immediately to the workplace.
These requirements are for students who enroll in the 2020–2021 academic year. For prior year academic requirements, visit our catalog archive.
About the Leadership and Management Graduate Certificate
What You'll Learn
Through your coursework, you will learn how to
- Apply leadership skills to promote communication, ethical behavior, and quality performance
- Implement employment practices, encourage team building, and mentor junior staff members
- Communicate effectively with culturally diverse audiences using a variety of formats and technologies
- Assess and develop performance measures, feedback, and coaching that facilitates employee development
- Employ self-reflection and mindfulness of individual and cultural differences when interacting with others
- Research, plan, and develop processes and procedures that ensure organizational performance
In past projects, students have had the opportunity to
- Design a change management training for managers using presentation software
- Participate in a group project to develop criteria and strategies to address performance deficiencies among employees
- Participate in a series of leadership questionnaires to identify your leadership style and development needs
Leadership and Management Graduate Certificate Requirements
Our curriculum is designed with input from employers, industry experts, and scholars. You'll learn theories combined with real-world applications and practical skills you can apply on the job right away.
Total Credits Required: 12
- UCSP 615
(to be taken within the first 6 credits of study)
- MGMT 630
(This course (or MGMT 610) must be taken within the first 6 credits.)
- HRMD 610
- HRMD 650
MGMT 610 and MGMT 615 may be taken in lieu of MGMT 630.
Overall Certificate Requirements
Review the overall graduate certificate requirements on the certificates overview webpage.
This program is designed for those who need a strong foundation in principles of management to move ahead in their organizations.
Experience Recommended for Success in the Program
We recommend you have strong writing and analytical skills.
About the Faculty
Our world-class faculty members combine academic credentials with a wealth of experience in the field.
Faculty members in this program hold or have recently held positions including
- Assistant administrator
- Assistant director
- Chief learning officer
- Deputy director
- Director of ethics and organizational development
- Senior policy analyst
- Special assistant to the director
- Special assistant to the regional administrator
- Vice president of executive education
Our faculty work or have worked at organizations including
- Council on Foundations
- Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Mercer University School of Medicine
- The MITRE Corporation
- Northrop Grumman
- Prince Georges County Sheriff Office
- University of Maryland Medical System Shore Regional Health
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection
- U.S. Department of Education
- U. S Department of Homeland Security
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- U.S. Department of Justice
- U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- U.S. Small Business Administration